Wray and Nephew’s popular, made for television Contender boxing series, will premier next Wednesday March 9, with a contest between Jamaica’s Richard Holmes and Xzaviar Ford from North Carolina, at the Chinese Benevolent Association auditorium, Hope Road. The fight will be broadcast live on Television Jamaica (TVJ).The series, which is in its sixth year, will see a team of eight welterweight boxers from the Caribbean going up against a team from the USA, most of whom are from North Carolina. At an official launch on Thursday, the boxers named from the Caribbean are Jamaicans Tsetsi Davis, Richard Holmes, Ramel Lewis, Michael Gardener and Camion Goldson, along with Iwan Azore from Trinidad and Tobago, Miguel Antoine from Barbados and Revlon Lake from Guyana.The boxers from the USA in addition to Ford are, William Barber, Courtney McCleave, Kevin Reynolds, Jose Guzman, Anthony Woods, Rashid Stevens and Devonte Seay. The matchmaker from North Caronia Chris Joy was present at the launch.MIXTUREOFSKILLBoth teams have a mixture of experienced boxers and newcomers to the professional ranks. The new pros could face some major challenges in the later stages of the competition however. Jamaicans Gardener and Goldson for example are making their professional debuts, and if they are able to make it past the preliminary round, they will face more experienced boxers in the quarter finals.Several of the boxers from the USA do not have many professional fights on their records, but Joy told the Gleaner that he was confident that they would be able to hold their own against the Caribbean boxers, because of their previous amateur experience and the type of fights they have had so far as professionals.Ford, for example, who is 19, and goes up against Holmes in the opener, has a one win and three losses record. Joy is of the opinion however, that his boxer is young and talented, and had a good run as an amateur. These factors, he said, in addition to his speed, will be the attributes that Ford will bring to the contest, and will enable him to get the better of the more experience Holmes.There has been a change in the number of rounds in the early stages of competition. Instead of six rounds, the prelims and quarter finals will be over five rounds and the semi-finals over seven. This is designed to avoid as far as possible, a drawn fight. The final will however remain at 10 rounds.The winner of the series will take home $2-million, the runner up $500,000, third place $250,000 and fourth place $200,000.
The document, updated every five years under state law, offers planners a 25-year projection of regional water supply and how much development it could sustain. It also has contingency plans for drought and disasters, including levee breaches on the California Aqueduct, which now supplies more than half of the area’s water. By 2030, Santa Clarita Valley’s population could increase some 70 percent to more than 428,000, and demand could jump from the current 89,300 acre-feet per year to 138,300 acre-feet per year. Conservation could cut it down to 125,370 acre-feet. An acre-foot is the amount of water required to cover one acre one foot deep – or 325,851 gallons. Meantime, local water supply from all current sources – including allocations from the State Water Project, groundwater and recycled sources – is projected at 125,680 acre-feet for 2030. Proposed transfer deals, water-banking programs and decontamination of polluted wells could add about 86,700 acre-feet. Plambeck urged a more detailed breakdown of how much water could be drawn from the region’s two main reservoirs – Castaic Lake and Pyramid Lake – as well as new banking agreements. But the only real point of contention was the accuracy of private well use. The draft plan said they account for 500 acre-foot of use per year – a figure the Santa Clarita Valley Well Owners Association disputes. Association member Bob Fleck said its survey of well use in San Francisquito and Bouquet canyons found some 1,003.45 acre-feet was tapped. “This measurement is grossly inadequate,” he told the panel. But Joe Scalmanini, a consulting engineer with Luhdorff & Scalmanini who complied the draft water plan, said Fleck’s figure may have mixed in well water used for area farms. The plan has a separate category for agriculture. “It’s not about who pumps what,” he said. “It’s about what’s the available pumping, … so in that sense, the groundwater supply will be sustainable.” Environmental groups sued Castaic agency over the 2000 plan, claiming it relied on contaminated water and other uncertain sources. A Kern County Superior Court judge found no wrongdoing, but the state Court of Appeal invalidated the plan, saying it failed to address perchlorate contamination of local groundwater. The rocket fuel chemical removed some 10,000 acre-feet of water per year from local supply, though cleanup could begin next year. The draft plan is available at the CLWA’s Web site (www.clwa.org/about/publications.cfm). The Oct. 26 hearing will be held at 7 p.m. at the Castaic Lake Water Agency board room, 27234 Bouquet Canyon Road, Saugus. Eugene Tong, (661) 257-5253 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAUGUS – For a water planning document that once invited lawsuits and controversy, the new draft of a regional water plan projecting local water supply and demands invited few criticisms from local water officials. Castaic Lake Water Agency and the Newhall County Water District held the first of two public hearings last week on the draft 2005 Urban Water Management Plan, where consultants offered the latest revisions before a joint panel. The next hearing is scheduled Oct. 26. Newhall Water board member Lynne Plambeck, who criticized the 2000 plan for having possibly overreported estimates, praised the hearing process. “I applaud your effort to do outreach,” she said. read more